So, the holiday break is over! Lets pick up where we left off, Plus some…
I stopped at the point I was needing to do all the UV mapping. All of that is now done. As well, after adding all the detail pieces, I did a test upload to SL to be sure there weren’t any problems. There were a few issues:
- First off it seems you can’t rely on LL to convert your faces from quads to triangles, in some instances this was failing and pieces of the harness simply vanished. I solved that by converting before exporting from Blender myself.
- The second issue was, I had overshot my target polygon count by a margin. I had to go back and do some editing. I shaved off about 16% by cutting the back off the piping around the panels, and by cutting out the interior polygons on the rivets. Changes you won’t even notice, but they do have an impact! (especially when you have over 50 rivets 😛 )
I then went ahead and finalized all the mesh, and linked all of the objects, color coding by material. And this is where we stand now:
I’m trying something new for me, as far as texturing. I’m going to use photo-sourced images I’m creating myself with my Canon Digital Camera, and then composite those onto the 3D model using Photoshop Extended. The newer versions of Photoshop allow working directly on the surface of the model, which is fantastic. Blender also has this ability, but the tools provided are very primitive, to say the least.
So, after taking about 20 pictures of the lock I used as a reference when designing the 3D lock model, and working some Photoshop magic, I ended up with this:
The textures for this represent about 2 days of work I did over the holiday. A lot of mistakes and a lot of trial and error. But I’m pretty happy with the final result. I still haven’t added any Ambient Occlusion, and may decide against it, but I want to give it a shot and see if it adds or detracts from the look.
In the coming days I’ll go step by step through the process of texturing an object in Photoshop as I did with the lock above (just something a little simpler).
So stay tuned…