It’s been a few weeks since Karl Stiefvater released his alpha code and requested feedback on it.
Karl has posted a summary of his analysis of the feedback, and outlined the direction he will be going from this point forward in this video:
A summary of the important points:
- The ‘base’ shape for use with the deformer is defined as the ‘default shape’ which is what is created when you first create a new shape wearable in SL.
- Likely for males, the ‘base’ shape will become that same shape as it appears when ‘male’ is selected.
- The ‘morph or don’t morph’ flag for meshes will be a flag set at the time of upload.
- The deformer code will be getting some changes to speed up the initial calculation, this is likely in response to the fact that entering a sim with many morphed avatars could cause a rather long calculation delay.
- The deformer code will also be adopting a vertice averaging algorithm that should help make the deformations smoother.
Karl has invited comment about these and other concerns on his blog, here.
Overall it sounds like a great direction and I can’t wait to see the next iteration. 🙂