Lets go over all of the highlights, shall we?
Firstly, Linden Lab made some rather big announcements:
- Second Life is coming to Steam: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Second-Life-is-Expanding-to-Steam/ba-p/1637751 Steam may seem like an unlikely place for SL, But, as more and more ‘Free to Play’ MMOs and games hit the service, why not? Could add up to more exposure for SL.
- Normal maps and Specular are in the works now, officially! http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tools-and-Technology/New-Open-Source-Project-to-Improve-Graphics-Rendering/ba-p/1637559 I know I’ve expressed my desires for this to many, as have others, and to see it now finally ‘in the pipe’ is great news. I can’t wait until we can make ‘real latex’ with ‘real reflections’. Whoot!
- Pathfinding is officially ‘out’ now, released to all sims in SL. https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Pathfinding In short this gives creators a system for making “smart’ artificial characters that can roam, chase, and flee from people and other objects, all without severely impacting the sim. It’s unclear what other uses besides ‘pets’ this will have, but I expect we’ll start seeing some clever uses in about 6 months.
So busy week in SL!
Now, as for me. Let me start by reposting last week’s list, but with some edits.
- Finish Dialog mode of HUD (Done)
- Finish Chat interface of HUD (60% done)
- Finish Media mode of HUD (not started yet)
- Fix rigging issues (Done)
- Redo Latex Texture (60% done)
- Make adjustments to mesh (ongoing)
- Create all of the Various alpha layers. (20% done)
- Create a RLV powered Alpha layer setup system. (Cancelled, RLV doesn’t support this correctly.)
- Put in code to auto-switch Alpha layers when changing appearance of the SJ via the HUD. (90% done)
- Create all of the Standard Sizes
- Create the Demos
- Test everything (Harness Update, FLEX HUD , Aspect HUD, Straitjacket, Clicker, etc)
- Write the documentation
- Make sales materials
So as you can see I have a lot of pokers in the fire. But making progress.
I only realized yesterday there’s a 5 layer limit on Alpha layers, so the way I was going to do it, won’t work. I’ll have to make a single layer for every possible permutation of what can be removed or added, and that’s going to balloon that work considerably. There’s a lot of possible modes of appearance. I’m also going to have to fudge things for the collar to eliminate needing alpha there, so that’s going to take some mesh adjustments. As well I decided I need a few more chaining rings on the arms, for the various positions. (More is good right?) Luckily none of those changes are ‘big’.
Because I know pretty much where I’m at now, and what’s left to be done, I can give a tentative release time, at last. “Sometime next month” That’s about as precise as I can get right now. 🙂