So as we left things yesterday, the model was mostly textured but pretty rough around the edges…
Ok, today i take you through all the steps for texturing the D-Ring for the harness, using photo-sourced material. At least all the steps I can fit in today…
For awhile now, the SL viewer has been using some depreciated OpenGL calls, which is a fancy way of saying it was using old methods to talk to the video card. Well, recently, those old methods were removed from the more up-to-date video cards and video card drivers, causing many people issues with functionality and stability.
Linden Lab started a drive to eliminate the use of those old, depreciated functions from the viewer, which they documented in this JIRA. As you may notice, the JIRA has been marked as “resolved”, meaning the bulk of this work has been completed. The new code hasn’t been officially released yet, but you can give it a try even now if you want an early look.
Chalice Yao released a revision of her NaCl viewer today, which contains this new OpenGL code, as well as adding RLVa. So if you are the adventurous sort, give it a try. But be warned, it’s possible a bug is lurking (you never know).
For voice support copy the slvoice.exe and vivox*.dll files from an official viewer to the NaCl directory.
I can say personally I love this viewer and it works beautifully. I even went from 25 fps to 78 fps (!!!) with shadows enabled. If this is any indication of what the new OpenGL code can achieve, it’s a great day for SL indeed.
So, the holiday break is over! Lets pick up where we left off, Plus some…
Another quick update on the Mesh Deformer Project mentioned previously.
The project now has an offical JIRA entry where you can keep abreast of the development milestones. This should also put to rest any questions about whether LL will be adding support for this in the official viewer. Things seem to be underway:
Still working on some last-minute details. I figured I would throw up a couple of pictures (unfinished) of what I’m doing…
Well, I spent the last days working on cleanup and UV mapping everything before I mirror the straps over. It took a bit of work, and some trial and error, but I got things into a decent shape. Here’s where the Harness is at now:
As you may recall from this post, The Mesh Deformer Project reached full funding around the end of October. Well today there was some activity and statements issued by both Maxwell Graf and Karl Stiefvater concerning the project going forward.
Karl stated in his Metareality Podcast that Linden Lab and Karl have been in discussions concerning the implementation of the Deformer into the Offical LL viewer. It seem there is a high level of cooperation and some design specs are being passed back and forth at this time.
Maxwell also updated the Project Page with a statement concerning the latest developments. It was also revealed by Maxwell in-world that the roughly-esitmated development time was 3-4 weeks, barring unforseen problems. Very exciting news!
I finished the rings, and am close to mirroring everything over. But before I can do that, I need to do the UV mapping. I considered doing some posts on this, but it’s a pretty complex subject. All things considered, I’ll have to save that subject for another time.
Just know I’m still hard at work!
I’m still churning away at these rings. But I’m seeing great progress. I plan to finish up on them tomorrow. In the meantime, I figure i would show a little technique i’m using on them to add some interesting detail.